Blue Zones are places in the world where people routinely live very long lives
Five Blue Zones have been identified around the world: Okinawa, Japan; Sardinia, Italy; Icaria, Greece; Loma Linda, California; and the Nicoya Peninsula of Guanacaste that includes Nosara.
There are four main things that people in Blue Zones are doing in order to live healthier and longer lives.
- EStaying active and not living a sedentary lifestyle. Move throughout the entire day - they don't just exercise.
- ELiving with purpose, having a reason to get up every day, and living with perspective. Could be faith. Could be a vocation.
- EBenefiting from the social support they receive from friends and family allowing them to move through life outcomes more smoothly.
- EMaking the "healthy choice the easy choice", and not just an option
“Live the real ‘Pura Vida’ Lifestyle”
Secrets of a Long Life,” lists nine blue zone lessons:
- EModerate, regular physical activity.
- ELife purpose.
- EStress reduction.
- EModerate alcohol intake, especially wine.
- EEngagement in spirituality or religion.
- EEngagement in family life.
- EEngagement in social life.